Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yahoo Article Comparing Costco and Amazon

I saw this article on Yahoo Finance comparing the two stores.

I do understand the comments about the time value of money, but I feel I get a great return on that at Costco. And I don't believe I spend as much time there as the author of the article does, except for times when I am deliberately surfing the store to find new products.

And I can't readily buy  through Amazon take and bake pizzas, romaine lettuce, black bean burgers, potstickers and innummerable other items I buy fresh, frozen or refrigerated at Costco.

Don't get me wrong, I do think for some people Amazon has a valid business model, but for so many of the grocery and other items we buy, Costco just can't be beat.

1 comment:

  1. While the New York Times article ultimately illustrates that Costco is cheaper than shopping on Amazon, it may not necessary be better for all customers. I think the preference is determined not by one’s value of time, but rather how much the individual enjoys shopping. While Costco offers lower prices and a vast selection of produce, a customer who loathes shopping may opt to purchase products at Amazon despite incurring higher costs. In this example, one’s value of personal time is superfluous while their opinion of shipping is crucial.

    ReplyDelete