Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dinner-Caprese Salad & Tuna Salad with Cannellini Beans

As it is still hot, salads sounded good again.  My wife made a Caprese Salad with basil from her herb garden and the Belgioioso mozzarella from Costco, along with some tomatoes from the farmer's market. She seasoned them wonderfully with EVOO, salt and pepper.


I made a tuna salad with cannellini beans that was basically the recipe off the can of Bush's except we added more red wine vinegar and we substituted sweet onion for red onion. I think the flavor is still very good with the onion change, but it might have looked prettier with the red onion.   The ingredients were:

1 can Kirkland Signature Albacore Tuna from Costco
1 can rinsed and drained cannellini beans
about 3/4 cup onion
A bit over 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
EVOO, salt and pepper to taste


The caprese salad had the bright taste of basil, the freshness of the tomato and the satisfying texture and taste of the cheese. It was absolutely delicious and it certainly reaffirmed why a caprese salad is such a classic fresh mozzarella recipe.  The tuna salad was very good, very simple flavors that blended well together. Although, as I said, the red onion probably would have made the dish much prettier.

For maybe 10 minutes in the kitchen, if that much, it was a fresh, homemade supper that was satisfying without being too heavy for the hot weather.  And it was healthy too with low fat foods like the veggies and the tuna.

2 comments:

  1. Both the salads look delicious! The bean and tuna one is a favorite in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really innovative here....great job here!

    I decided to cook up some cannelini beans and then I frozen them for use in recipes all over. That way I can control the salt and it makes me feel good for not having all the cans in landfills.

    I didn't know that Costco had good tuna like that though. I have some Starkist in the pantry-this looks like a great combo.

    You should tell the Costco people what you are doing.

    I wonder if they have an Affiliate Program for you. I am sure they could give you a free member ship or something for doing this for them.

    Polly Motzko

    ReplyDelete